Funerary cone of Amenmose
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 367
Length x diameter: 15.9 x 7.6 cm (6 1/4 x 3 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of clay with tapering cone element broken off. Head end carries a circular stamp of hieroglyphic text with in undivided register identifying the owner as “Royal Scribe, Overseer of the Magazine of Amen, Amenmose, True-of-Voice” (sS nswt imy-r Sna n Imn Imn-ms mAa xrw). Small fragment missing from bottom left edge.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #367.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way