Funerary cone of Baki and Mereryt
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 600
Height x diameter: 10.1 x 7.2 cm (4 x 2 13/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with portion of tapering cone end broken off and missing; some traces of white priming. Circular stamp on head end shows two central seated figures with a circular band of hieroglyphs surrounding, identifying the owners as “Wab-priest of Maat of the Vizier, Baki, True-of-Voice and his sister, Lady of the House Mereryt” (wab n MAat n TAty BAky MAa xrw snt.f nbt-pr Mrryt).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.291; Res.72.292.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #600.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way