Funerary cone of Baki and Mereryt
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 600
Length x diameter: 8.8 x 6.8 cm (3 7/16 x 2 11/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with portion of tapering cone end broken off and missing. Circular stamp on head end shows two central seated figures (male and female) with a circular band of hieroglyphs surrounding, identifying the owners as “Wab-priest of Maat of the Vizier, Baki, True-of-Voice and his sister, Lady of the House Mereryt” (wab n MAat n TAty BAki MAa xrw snt.f nbt-pr Mrryt).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see also: 72.1784; Res.72.292
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #600.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way