Funerary cone of Dedu

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18, reigns of Thutmose III–Amenhotep II
1479–1400 B.C.


Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (el-Khokha), Possibly tomb 200

Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 22

Dimensions

Height x diameter: 3.2 x 7.2 cm (1 1/4 x 2 13/16 in.)

Accession Number

72.1803

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment of pinkish-buff clay with tapering cone end broken off and missing; traces of light priming. Circular stamp on head with five divided columns of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner.

Translation of text:
“Captain
of (the ship) ‘Beloved-of-Amen,’ Standard-bearer
of His Majesty’s Troops, Overseer of the Hill-country West of Thebes, Chief
of the Medjay Dedu
True-of-Voice with the great god, Lord of the Sacred Land”

Transliteration:
wAaw
n Mry-Imn TAw-sryt
n sAw n Hm.f imy-r xAst imntt WAst Hry Ma-
DAyw Dydu
MAa xrw xr nTr aA nb tA Dsr

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #22.

Provenance

Probably from Thebes (el-Khokha), possibly tomb 200. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way