Funerary cone of Didu
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18, reigns of Thutmose III–Amenhotep II
Davies & MacAdam 24
Height x diameter: 9.8 x 3.5 cm (3 7/8 x 1 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay; majority of tapering cone element broken off and missing. Circular stamp on head with five columns of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner. Lower portion of impression somewhat worn.
Translation of text:
“Trusted confidant of the Lord of the Two Lands
Brave Warrior of the Infantry who pleases the hearts of the entire land, greatly
beloved, Chief Didu
True-of-Voice before the great god.”
mH-ib n nb-tAwy
kf qn n mnf(A)yt snDm ibw m tA r-Dr.f n-aA.t-n mrwt.f
xr.f Hry Dydw
mAa xrw xr nTr aA
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of the same tomb owner and impression see: RES.72.301
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #24.
Probably from Khokha. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1972)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way