Funerary cone of Djeser-ka
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 559
Length x diameter: 15.9 x 7 cm (6 1/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of pinkish-buff clay with tapering cone element partly intact. Head end heavily battered, originally carried a stamp with three horizontal lines of hieroglyphic text with dividing lines, of which only approximately half remains. Text known from parallels: identifies the owner as “[Scribe of Grain Accounting] of Amen, [Djeser-ka]” ([sS Hsb-it] n Imn [Dsr-kA]).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples (including complete ones) of same owner see: Res. 72.267, Res.72.268, Res.72.269, Res.72.270, Res.72.271, Res.72.273, Res.72.274, Res.72.275, Res.72.277, Res.72.1767, 72.1767.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #559.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1782)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way