Funerary cone of Djeserka
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 559
Length x diameter: 16.8 x 7.4 cm (6 5/8 x 2 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay with tapering cone element largely intact. Head end carries a stamp with three horizontal lines of hieroglyphic text with dividing lines. Text identifies the owner as “Scribe of Grain Accounting of Amen, Djeser[-ka]” (sS Hsb-it n Imn Dsr[-kA]). Fragment chipped away from bottom right area of of head; taking a small portion of the bottom line of text (which is known from parallels). .
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of same owner see: Res. 72.267, Res.72.268, Res.72.269, Res.72.270, Res.72.271, Res.72.272, Res.72.273, Res.72.275, Res.72.276, Res.72.277, Res.72.1767, 72.1767.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #559.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way