Funerary cone of Hapuseneb

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
1550–1070 B.C.


Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 517

Dimensions

Height x diameter: 16.5 x 8.5 cm (6 1/2 x 3 3/8 in.)

Accession Number

72.1777

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with majority of tapering cone element missing. Circular stamp on head, somewhat faint, carries three horizontal registers of hieroglyphic text that identify the owner. Small fragment broken from head.

Translation of text:
“Hereditary Noble, Mayor,
Royal Seal-bearer, High Priest of Amen,
Hapuseneb, True-of-Voice”

Transliteration:
iry-pa.t HAty-a
xtmt(y)-bity Hm-nTr tpy n Imn
Hpw-snb mAa-xrw

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

For other cones of this tomb owner see: Res.72.299; 72.1778.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #517.

Provenance

By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way