Funerary cone of Hapuseneb
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 517
Height x diameter.: 4.4 x 8.9 cm (1 3/4 x 3 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with majority of tapering cone element missing; traces of red wash/paint. Circular stamp on head with three divided horizontal registers of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner. Lower right portion broken away.
Translation of text:
“Hereditary Noble, Mayor,
Royal Seal-bearer, High Priest of Amen,
xtmt(y)-bity Hm-nTr tpy n Imn
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other cones of this tomb owner see: 72.1777; 72.1778.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #517.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way