Funerary cone of Huwebenef
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 58
Height x diameter: 4.4 x 7 cm (1 3/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing. Head end carries a stamp with four divided columns of hieroglyphic text which identifies the owner as “One Honored by Osiris, Master of Copper/Coppersmiths (?) of the house of the God’s Wife Huwebenef, True-of-Voice” (imAxy xr Wsir Hry biA/Hmwt (?) n pr Hmt-nTr hw-wbn.f mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #58.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way