Funerary cone of Menkeperreseneb
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna), Possibly tomb 86
Davies & MacAdam 100
Height x diameter: 3.1 x 7 cm (1 1/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay with traces of red paint. Majority of the tapering cone element broken off and missing. Head is stamped with hieroglyphic text in four columns, which identify the owner; one edge worn.
Translation of text:
Hereditary Noble, Mayor, Royal Seal-bearer,
High Priest of Amen, Menkheperre-
Iry-pa.t/iry-pa.t HAty-a xtmt(y)-bity
Hm-nTr tpy n Imn Mn-xpr-Re-
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For another funerary cone of the same owner see: 72.1772
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #100.
Probably from Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna), possibly tomb 86. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way