Funerary cone of Menkheperreseneb

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
1550–1295 B.C.


Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna), Possibly tomb 79

Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 493

Dimensions

Height x diameter.: 14 x 6 cm (5 1/2 x 2 3/8 in.)

Accession Number

72.1771

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment with cone end missing with traces of white priming; circular stamp on head of cone with four horizontal registers of hieroglyphic text that identify the owner as “Royal Scribe, Overseer of the Dual Granary of Upper and Lower Egypt Menkheperreseneb, True-of-Voice with the Great God” (sS-nswt imy-r Snwty n Smaw mHw Mn-xpr-ra-snb mAa xrw xr nTr-aA).

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #493.

Provenance

Probably from Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna), possibly tomb 79. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way