Funerary cone of Neferhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Object Place: Egypt, Possibly Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna)
Davies & MacAdam 301
Height x diameter: 3.5 x 7.6 cm (1 3/8 x 3 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish clay; tapering cone element largely missing. Circular stamp on head with hieroglyphic text in undivided register to identify the owner. The text reads: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice” (Hm-nTr 4-nw n Imn nfr-Htp mAa xrw). Small chips missing from edges.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.339; Res.72.340; 72.1816; 72.1818; 72.1819.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #301.
Probably from Thebes (Sheikh Abd el-Qurna). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way