Funerary cone of Neferhotep & Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 359
Height x diameter:4.4 x 8.2 cm (1 3/4 x 3 1/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with most of tapering cone element sawed away and missing; traces of light reddish-brown. Circular stamp impression on head with an undivided register, identifying owners: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice” and “his wife, Amenhotep.” (Hm-ntr 4-nw n Imn Nfr-Htp MAa-xrw Hmt.f Imn-Htp)
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Others of the same owner see: RES.72.264, 72.1763, 72.4737, RES.72.265.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #359.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way