Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Amenhotep

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
1550–1070 B.C.


Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 302

Dimensions

Length x diameter: 14.6 x 7.6 cm (5 3/4 x 3 in.)

Accession Number

RES.72.260

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment with end of cone element broken. Circular stamp impression on head with an undivided register, identifying owners: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep and his wife, Lady of the House Amenhotep.” (Hm-ntr 4-nw n Imn Nfr-Htp MAa-xrw Hm.f Hmt nbt-pr Imn-Htp). Head chipped and somewhat eroded on left portion, including a small part of the text.

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.261; Res.72.261; 72.1762; 72.1763.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #302.

Provenance

By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way