Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Amenhotep
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 359
Length x diameter: 1 3/8 x 3 1/8 in. (3.6 x 7.9 cm)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay, missing tapering cone element. Circular stamp impression on head with an undivided register, with hieroglyphic text identifying the owners as: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice” and “his wife, Amenhotep” (Hm-ntr 4-nw n Imn Nfr-Htp MAa-xrw Hmt.f Imn-Htp).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Others of the same owner see: RES 72.1763, 72.4737, RES.72.265, RES.72.264, 72.1763, RES.72.4222.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #359.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way