Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Amenhotep

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
1550–1070 B.C.


Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 359

Dimensions

Length x diameter: 14.4 x 8.4 cm (5 11/16 x 3 5/16 in.)

Accession Number

RES.72.264

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay end with much of tapering cone element intact. Circular stamp impression on head with an undivided register, identifying owners: “Fourth Prophet of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice” and “his wife, Amenhotep” (Hm-ntr 4-nw n Imn Nfr-Htp MAa-xrw Hmt.f Imn-Htp).

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

Others of the same owner see: RES 72.1763, 72.4737, RES.72.265.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #359.

Provenance

By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way