Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Meryre
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 291
Height x diameter: 16.2 x 7.6 cm (6 3/8 x 3 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of reddish-buff clay with tapering cone element largely intact. Head carries a rectangular stamp with two columns of hieroglyphic text naming the owners as “the Osiris, Chief Scribe of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice (and) his sister Lady of the House Meryre, True-of-Voice” (Wsir sS wr n Imn nfr-Htp mAa xrw snt.f nb(.t) pr mry-Ra mAa xrw). Small chip missing from impression, but complete text known from parallels.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of the same owners and stamp see: Res.72.342; Res.72.343; Res.72.344; Res.72.345; Res.72.346; Res.72.347; Res.72.348; Res.72.349; Res.72.350; 72.1820; 72.1821; 72.1822.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #291.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way