Funerary cone of Neferhotep and Meryre
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 291
Height x diameter: 3.8 x 7.9 cm (1 1/2 x 3 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of buff clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing. Head carries a somewhat deeply pressed rectangular stamp with two divided columns of hieroglyphic text, with some damage to the bottom right section of text. Text names the owners as “the Osiris, Chief Scribe of Amen, Neferhotep, True-of-Voice (and) his sister Lady of the House Meryre, True-of-Voice” (Wsir sS wr n Imn nfr-Htp mAa xrw snt.f nb(.t) pr mry-Ra mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of the same owners and stamp see: Res.72.341; Res.72.342; Res.72.343; Res.72.344; Res.72.345; Res.72.346; Res.72.347; Res.72.348; Res.72.350; 72.1820; 72.1821; 72.1822.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #291.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way