Funerary cone of Reshepses
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 429
Height x diameter: 8.9 x 6.6 cm (3 1/2 x 2 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay; cone end missing. Four horizontal registers of hieroglyphic text on the head identify the owner.
Translation of text:
“One honored by
Osiris, Royal Scribe, Overseer of Granaries
of Lower Egypt Re-shepses,
Wsir sS-nswt imy-r Snwt
nw TA-mHw Ra-Spss
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For another funerary cone of the same owner see: 72.1783.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #429.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way