Funerary cone of Ruru/Ruty
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga), Possibly tomb A.3
Davies & MacAdam 158
Height x diameter: 18.3 x 16.8 cm (7 3/16 x 6 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone of wedge-shape, or possibly a mud brick, formed of reddish clay. Identical circular stamp impressions, two on each of adjacent sides, with hieroglyphic text in undivided register field identifying the owner as “One honored by Osiris, Chief of the Medjay Ruru/Rwty, True-of-Voice” (imAxy xr Wsir wr n MaDAyw Rwrw/Rwty mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For same inscription see: Res. 72.322; Res.72.323; Res. 72.324.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #158.
Probably from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga), possibly tomb A.3. By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way