Funerary cone of Ruru/Ruty
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga), Likely from tomb A.3
Davies & MacAdam 158
Height x diameter: 4.8 x 8.9 cm (1 7/8 x 3 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken away and missing. Head end carries a circular stamp impression with clear hieroglyphic text in undivided field. The owner is identified as “One honored by Osiris, Chief of the Medjay Ruru/Rwty, True-of-Voice” (imAxy xr Wsir wr n MaDAyw Rwrw/Rwty mAa xrw).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner and stamp see: Res.72.322; Res. 72.324; 72.1811.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #158.
Probably from Dra Abu el-Naga (Thebes). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way