Funerary cone of Ruru/Ruty

Egyptian
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
1550–1070 B.C.


Object Place: Egypt, Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga), Likely from tomb A.3

Catalogue Raisonné

Davies & MacAdam 158

Dimensions

Height x diameter: 5.3 x 9.5 cm (2 1/8 x 3 3/4 in.)

Accession Number

RES.72.324

Medium or Technique

Pottery

Not On View

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Architectural elements

Funerary cone fragment of pinkish-buff clay with tapering cone element broken away and missing. Head end carries a circular stamp impression with clear hieroglyphic text in undivided register field. Slight chip missing from upper edge. The owner is identified as “One honored by Osiris, Chief of the Medjay Ruru/Rwty, True-of-Voice” (imAxy xr Wsir wr n MaDAyw Rwrw/Rwty mAa xrw).

Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.

For other examples of this tomb owner and stamp see: Res.72.322; Res. 72.323; 72.1811.

Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #158.

Provenance

Probably from Dra Abu el-Naga (Thebes). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)

Credit Line

Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way