Funerary cone of Thutmose
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18, reigns of Hatshepsut–Thutmose III
Object Place: Egypt, Possibly Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga)
Davies & MacAdam 271
Height x diameter: 5.4 x 7 cm (2 1/8 x 2 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing. Two identical rectangular stamps on the head with hieroglyphic text in undivided register naming the owner as “Chief Wab-priest of Amen, Thutmose” (aA n wab n Imn DHwty-ms).
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For other examples of this tomb owner see: Res.72.351; Res.72.352; Res.72.353; Res.72.354; Res.72.355; Res.72.356; 72.1823; 72.1824.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #271.
Probably from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way