Funerary cone of Tuer
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18–20
Davies & MacAdam 57
Height x diameter: 3.1 x 6 cm (1 1/4 x 2 3/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish-buff clay with tapering cone element broken off and missing; traces of red paint and white priming. Circular stamp on head has four columns of hieroglyphic text identifying the owner. Fragment of head broken off and stamp impression somewhat worn.
Translation of text:
by Osiris, Chief of the Medjay
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #57.
By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way