Funerary cone of Userhat
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18
Davies & MacAdam 255
Depth x length: 5.7 x 7.9 cm (2 1/4 x 3 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Funerary cone fragment of reddish clay with majority of cone element broken off and missing. Deeply impressed circular stamp on the head with hieroglyphic text identifying the owner as “Overseer of the Cattle of Amen, Userhat” (imy-r iHw n Imn Wsir-HAt). Left portion of head missing fragment.
Funerary cones were components of a frieze, inserted above the doors of private tombs, particularly in the Theban region. They have been variously interpreted as: name-plates of sorts to identify the tomb owner, decorative memorials, boundary markers for a tomb, dummy bread loaves or meat offerings, symbolic roof beams, or (for the visible circular head) depictions of the sun disk.
For another example of the same owner see: 72.1774.
Davies and Macadam, A Corpus of Inscribed Egyptian Funerary Cones (1957), type #255.
Probably from Thebes (Dra Abu el-Naga). By 1836: Robert Hay Collection, Linplum, Scotland; 1863: to his son, Robert James Alexander Hay; 1868-1872: Way Collection, Boston (purchased by Samuel A. Way through London dealers Rollin and Feuardent, 27 Haymarket); 1872: given to the MFA by Samuel's son, C. Granville Way.
(Accession Date: June 28, 1872)
Hay Collection—Gift of C. Granville Way