God the father on the Globe supported by the Four Evangelists

Italian (Venice)
After 1593
Girolamo Campagna (1552–1623)


Object Place: Venice, Italy

Dimensions

Overall: 123.2cm (48 1/2in.) Other (Overall; Statuette, God the Father): 50.2cm (19 3/4in.) Other (Overall; Statuette, St. Matthew): 42.5cm (16 3/4in.) Other (Overall; Statuette, St. Mark): 47.3cm (18 5/8in.) Other (Overall; Statuette, St. Luke): 46.3cm (18 1/4in.) Other (Overall; Statuette,St. John): 43.2cm (17in.) Other (globe): 41.8 cm (16 7/16 in.)

Accession Number

68.583a-f

Medium or Technique

Cast bronze and beaten copper

Not On View

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Sculpture

Model for centerpiece of High Altar in Church of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice; 4 kneeling Evangelists (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John with symbols) support copper globe on shoulders atop which God stands, right hand extended in blessing. All on “belle joyeuse” marble base.

This group was probably cast after the terracotta modello for the figures on the centerpiece of the high altar in San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice, which was executed between 1591 and 1593 and signed by Campagna. The celestial globe carried by the Evangelists is a Christian reinterpretation of the pagan image of Atlas or Hercules carrying the globe. The design for the composition was executed by Campagna’s friend, the painter Antonio Vassilacchi (1556-1629)

Provenance

By 1967, Luigi Galli (dealer), Carate Brianza, Italy; 1968, sold by Galli to Ildebrando Bossi, P. Bossi et fils, Nice, France; 1968, sold by Bossi to John Goelet; gift of John Goelet to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 11, 1968)

Credit Line

Centennial Gift of John Goelet