Hafner ware stove tile
late 16th century
Overall: 32.1 x 26.7 cm (12 5/8 x 10 1/2 in.)
Not On View
Hafner ware stove tile. Jacob fighting with Angel in low relief. Glazed white ground. GEN:32 over AP:V24. in lower left. Angel and clouds in blue; Jacob in green robe with brown sash and boots.
Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944) and Elisabeth Bondy, Vienna; 1938, confiscated from Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy by Nazi forces (no. OB 1442) [see note 1]; stored at the Central Depot, Neue Burg, Vienna, and probably removed to Alt Aussee [see note 3]; 1945, recovered by Allied forces and subsequently returned to Elisabeth Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 4]; May 2, 1963, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977); 1965, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 13, 1965)
 With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. This stove tile is listed in a Nazi-generated inventory of the collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), no. 1442 ("Kachel, weiss glasiert, bunt bemalt, mit Darstellung des Kampfes Jokobs mit den Engeln, 18. Jh. gerahmt, 31 x 25").
 Many works of art stored elsewhere by the Nazis were moved to the abandoned salt mines of Alt Aussee in Austria, to be kept stafe from wartime bombing.
 Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstsammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson