Hollow ring or sheathing
Place of Origin: Coclé Province, Panama, Sitio Conte area
5.1 diameter x 4.5 cm (2 x 1 3/4 in.) length each piece
Medium or Technique
Copper and gold alloy
Not On View
Two half circle sections of a hollow ring. The piece may be the surviving metal sheathing of some object of body adornment which was made from wood or other organic material. Although registrar’s files call this a “nose ring”, there is no indication of such a function on on these two segments.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay