Horseshoe crab effigy
Object Place: Sitio Conté area, Coclé Province, Panama
Overall: 1.7 x 2.2 cm (11/16 x 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Ancient South America Gallery (Gallery LG33)
Open back cast gold pendant in the form of a horseshoe crab. A double wire suspension ring is cast on the rear surface below the tail-body junction point.
Excavated in the Sitio Conte area, Coclé Province, Panama, after 1930; by 1950 in a Private Collection, San José, Costa Rica; to Paul Pasher, New York, between 1950 and 1955 and kept with Manuel Miranda Pinto, San Salvador, El Salvador; brought to the United States, April 1970 and sold to the Edward H. Merrin Gallery, New York; to the MFA, December 1971, purchase.
Gift of Landon T. Clay