Jaffrey House, interior finish
Dimensions: see conservation documentation
Medium or Technique
Painted wood, glass, Delft tiles
Edward W. and L. Linder Lombard Gallery (Gallery 138A)
Interior woodwork from the parlor of the Jaffrey Mansion, built on Daniel Street, Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The woodwork, floor boards, and Delft tiles surrounding the fireplace are original to the room.
House originally located on Daniel Street in Portsmouth, New Hampshire; built by George Jaffrey II (1682-1749). House descended to his son George Jaffrey III (1718-1801); and then to his grand-nephew, George (Jeffries) Jaffrey IV (1789-1856). The Goodrich family then purchased the house, and later in the nineteenth century sold or rented the south half to the Simes family. The house, then in disrepair, was sold at auction on September 24, 1919, and was purchased by Israel Sack, a furniture dealer. The Museum acquired the house and land from Mr. Sack in November 1919; removed two interiors (including this parlor) and a cupboard from a third room; structure was resold to a developer and the house was destroyed in the summer of 1920. The parlor was on view in the East Wing from the opening of the decorative arts wing in 1928 until 2002.
Henry Lillie Pierce Residuary Fund for Colonial Art and with contributions from Charles Hitchcock Tyler and J. Templeman Coolidge