Slovakia (Bratislava)(formerly Pozsony, Hungary)
Object Place: Bohemia
Height 31.8 cm (12 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Jug of Habaner ware, white slip decorated with birds and animals in yellow, blue and violet. On the front a coat of arms supported by lions, and at the back two unicorns slaying a stag. Inscribed on the neck MATIAS WITEK MARTINUS / CABISSEK STEPANUS SSARIBOK / 1713 MICHAEL TREFILIK.
1938, Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944) and Elisabeth Bondy, Vienna [see note 1]; 1938, confiscated from Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy by Nazi forces (no. OB 840) [see note 1]; stored at the Central Depot, Neue Burg, Vienna, and probably removed to Alt Aussee [see note 2]; 1945, recovered by Allied forces and subsequently returned to Elisabeth Bondy, New York; probably sold by Mrs. Bondy to Blumka Gallery, New York [see note 3]; May 6, 1960, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1960, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: May 11, 1960)
 With the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in March, 1938, the possessions of Oscar and Elisabeth Bondy were seized and expropriated almost immediately by Nazi forces. This jug is listed in a Nazi-generated inventory of the collection (July 4, 1938; Vienna, BDA-Archiv, Restitutions-Materialen, K 8/1), as no. 840 ("Habaner Krug in Habanerart mit Wappen, Blütenstauden und Einhörner, 1713, H. 30").
 Many works of art stored elsewhere by the Nazis were moved to the abandoned salt mines of Alt Aussee in Austria, to be kept stafe from wartime bombing.
 Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka Gallery. For further on Oscar Bondy, see Sophie Lillie, Was einmal war: Handbuch der enteigneten Kunstammlungen Wiens (Vienna, 2003), pp. 216-245.
Gift of Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellseworth Wilson