early 17th century
Object Place: Europe, Switzerland
Height 25.4 cm (10 in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Glazed Hafner ware. Variegated brown glaze on bulbous body with slightly splayed foot has vertical bands of yellow lozenges on green. Inverted tear-drop recess at front, edged in cream, has free standing crucifix. Cylindrical neck with vertical blue and cream bands between three lions’ masks. Short scroll handle.
December 3, 1960, sold by Blumka Gallery, New York, to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York [see note 1]; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: February 14, 1962)
 According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (December 3, 1960; in MFA curatorial file), this jug belonged to Oscar Bondy. However, attempts to identify it in inventories of Bondy's collection have not been successful. Bondy owned a similar jug, with which this example may have been confused. For the comparative jug, see Alfred Walcher-Molthein, "Hafnergeschirre der Renaissance: der Gruppe der Gefässe mit Sandanwurf," Belvedere 1925, no. 7, fig. 6.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Ellsworth Wilson