Kawasaki: The Rokugô Ferry (Kawasaki, Rokugô watashibune), first version, from the series Fifty-three Stations of the Tôkaidô Road (Tôkaidô gojûsan tsugi no uchi), also known as the First Tôkaidô or Great Tôkaidô
「東海道五十三次之内 川崎 六郷渡船」
about 1833–34 (Tenpô 4–5)
Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 245, horizontal ôban #55.03
Horizontal ôban; 24.4 x 35.9 cm (9 5/8 x 14 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
No. 03 in the series, first version; co-published by Hôeidô and Senkakudô.
First version: 06.1342, 11.2154, 11.23081, 11.30186, 11.38937, 11.41823, 21.5092, 21.5095, 2009.2411.3; deaccessioned in 2012: *11.17431 (creped)
Second version: 11.26099, 21.5093, 21.5094; deaccessioned in 2012: *11.17419, *11.17420, *11.17421
Censor's seal: (kiwame; in left margin, cut off of this impression)
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection