Kyôryû-ji at Sekiryûsan in Hashidate, No. 28 of the Chichibu Pilgrimage Route (Chichibu junrei nijûhachiban Hashidate Sekiryûsan Kyôritsu-ji), from the series Miracles of Kannon (Kannon reigenki)

「観音霊験記 秩父巡礼 二十八番 橋立(はしだて) 石竜山(せきりゅうさん) 橋立寺 (きょうりゅうじ)」

Japanese
Edo period
1860 (Ansei 7/Man'en 1), intercalary 3rd month
Artist Utagawa Kunisada II (Kunimasa III, Toyokuni IV) (Japanese, 1823–1880), Artist Utagawa Hiroshige II (Shigenobu) (Japanese, 1826–1869), Publisher Yamadaya Shôjirô (Japanese)


Catalogue Raisonné

C's Ukiyo-e Museum, http://homepage2.nifty.com/ukiyo-e/index.html

Dimensions

Vertical ôban; 34.8 x 24.3 cm (13 11/16 x 9 9/16 in.)

Accession Number

11.42645

Medium or Technique

Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper

Not On View

Collections

Asia, Prints and Drawings

Classifications

Prints

The Story of the District Supervisor and the Punishment of Rebirth as a Serpent (Gunji jashin no mukui)

Inscription

秩父順礼第廿八番 橋立石竜山橋立寺

霧の海たちかさなるハ雲の波
 たぐひあらじといたる橋立

奉額 馬頭尊の御堂さながら大岩を背負たるさまなれバ大悲のこゝろを思ふて
 春駒や吾は重荷のつゝら石

郡司報蛇身

昔此村の者頓死して閻王の前に往けれバ一人の/武士を引出して此者を知るやとありよく見れバ/我領主の郡司といふものにて生得邪見の/者ゆへ殊に驚きて敬ひけれバ冥官の/いふやう此郡司娑婆にて大悪を尽し/なかんづく地蔵の像)を毀てハ無間に堕す/べき者なりしが鹿を追て橋立寺にいたり/矢尻をもて一度ともし灯明を掻/たてたる功徳によつて永劫その/難を免るゝといえども今より/蛇身の報をうけて娑婆にいづる/なり是を知らしめん為こゝに呼ぬ/とく皈れといふ声の下に頓死の者/蘇生りて里人等にしかじかと語る/其頃より此霧の海といふに悪龍出て/人馬を喰ふがゆへ村民此堂に祈念し/けれバ御堂のうちより/白馬出て/彼龍/に呑れ終に/其悪龍/得脱して/蟠り石と/なりたる姿/今も洞/中に/顕然たりこゝを以て/石龍山といふ/当山の/奥の/院ハ/日本に/一か二といふ/霊窟/なり

万亭応賀誌

*(二代広重画)(二代国貞画)*万延元年申閏三月(1860)

Signed

Kunisada ga, in toshidama cartouche (below); Hiroshige ga (above)

国貞画(年玉枠)、広重画

Markings

Censor's seal: Monkey intercalary 3 aratame
No blockcutter's mark

改印:申壬三改
彫師:なし

Provenance

By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)

NOTES:
[1] Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.

Credit Line

William Sturgis Bigelow Collection