Late 19th to early 20th century
Object Place: Europe, Delft, The Netherlands
Overall: 17.8cm (7in.) Other (Overall): 10.2cm (4in.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
Blue on white. Medallions of landscapes and canal scenes and scrolled, foliate, and diaper pattern decoration. Knob finial, handle with metal fittings, perforations on top. Three arched openings in sides one of which is a door with metal fittings. Door broken, repaired with wire, over painting on door. Candle stand inside.
Possibly Oscar Bondy (b. 1870 - d. 1944), Vienna and New York [see note 1]; possibly sold from the Bondy collection to Blumka Gallery, New York; January 23, 1961, sold by Blumka to R. Thornton Wilson (b. 1886 - d. 1977), New York; 1962, gift of R. Thornton Wilson to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 10, 1962)
 According to a letter from R. Thornton Wilson to Perry Rathbone of the MFA (January 26, 1961; in MFA curatorial file). Attempts to identify the lantern in inventories of Oscar Bondy's collection have not been successful.
Oscar Bondy, a Jewish businessman living in Vienna, had owned a vast collection of paintings, sculptures, and works of decorative art, which was seized and expropriated with the Anschluss, or annexation of Austria to Nazi Germany in 1938. Mr. Bondy and his wife left Europe and emigrated to the United States, where he passed away in 1944. In the years following World War II, much of his collection was restituted to his widow and subsequently sold on the New York art market, particularly through Blumka.
Gift of R. Thornton Wilson in memory of Florence Wilson