Large covered cup

German (Dresden)
about 1720


Object Place: Dresden, Germany

Dimensions

Overall: 54 x 16.5 cm (21 1/4 x 6 1/2 in.) Other (Cup): 37.6 x 14.9 cm (14 13/16 x 5 7/8 in.) Other (Lid): 19.1 x 12.7 cm (7 1/2 x 5 in.) Other (Diameter of foot.): 17.3 cm (6 13/16 in.)

Accession Number

2003.241a-b

Medium or Technique

Glass, cut and wheel-engraved, with polished and matte engraving

On View

Angelica Lloyd Russell Gallery (Gallery 142)

Collections

Europe

Classifications

Glass

Until German and Bohemian craftsmen perfected the technique around 1700s, only Venetian craftsmen knew the secret of making colorless glass . Skilled engravers held the undecorated glass up to fast-spinning blades and used abrasive powder to cut the elaborate surface design. This cup was made for the Elector of Saxony to present as a diplomatic gift.

Provenance

By descent in family of the Princes zu Ottingen-Wallerstein, Wallerstein Castle, Bavaria. By 2003, with Rudigier Gallery, Munich; 2003, sold by Rudigier Gallery to the MFA. (Accession date: May 21, 2003)

Credit Line

Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously