Leaf from an Antiphonary
Attributed to Neri da Rimini (Italian, active 1303–1328)
Place of Manufacture: Bologna, Italy
Overall (page dimensions): 53 x 35 cm (20 7/8 x 13 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Tempera, ink, and gold on parchment
Not On View
One of four codicologically unrelated leaves from an antiphonary, a choral book containing the music used in the Divine Office.
1 column of 6 staves in Latin. Bounding lines blind or light plummet, doubled and full-length to upper and lower edges, writing lines blind or light plummet, with upper and lower bounding lines for each line of text. Heightened square notation on a four-line red staff, C-clef indicated.
Written in a Italian rotunda script in black ink, red rubrics. Two-staff-high historiated initial on the verso with a tonsured male saint standing, grasping hands with God who reaches down from heavenly aperture at upper right, in foliate [E] (for “Euge serva…”) in gold and colors with acanthus into margins.
17th century foliation in outer margin reads 136 (?).
By 1920, Dr. Denman Waldo Ross (1853-1935), Cambridge, MA; 1920, gift of Dr. Denman Waldo Ross. (Accession Date: September 2, 1920)
Denman Waldo Ross Collection