Left foot from a statue of Dionysos
Late Hellenistic Period
Object Place: Sudan, Nubia, Begrawiya, Pyr. N 5
Greek, Etruscan, & Roman Bronzes (MFA), no. 070.
Height x width x length: 6.4 x 5.7 x 14.9 cm (2 1/2 x 2 1/4 x 5 7/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Greek & Roman Sculpture Gallery (Gallery 211)
Both of these bronze statue pieces (24.896 and 24.897) were discovered together with the two Dionysos heads, and their proportions all match. They are probably to be reconstructed with the heads into lamp stands; the hand would thus have actually held the lamp. Examples for this type of figural lamp are known from the Post-Meroitic Period in the royal tombs of the X-Group at Ballana. (Sudan catalogue)
Bronze. Hollow caste. Foot wearing ornamental sandal. Probably from same figure as bronze head No. 24.957. (Card)
Green patina, partly cleaned away. This sandled left foot belongs with 24.896 and 24.897.
From Meroe, North Cemetery, Pyramid Beg. N 5, Chamber A (tomb of Prince Arikankharer). December, 1921: excavated by the Harvard University-Museum of Fine Arts Expedition; 1924: assigned to the MFA by the government of the Sudan.
Harvard University—Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition