about 550 B.C.
Sculpture in Stone (MFA), no. 015; Sculpture in Stone and Bronze (MFA), p. 106 (additional published references); Highlights: Classical Art (MFA), p. 152-153.
Overall: 95.3 x 58 x 38 cm (37 1/2 x 22 13/16 x 14 15/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Limestone (originally coated with smooth plaster and painted)
Greek Archaic Gallery (Gallery 113)
The lion is seated on a cushion-like plinth, his head turned to face the viewer, his body appearing in profile to the right. The jaws are opened, as if the animal were roaring. The tail lies along the front edge of the plinth.
Restorations include the filling of a hole in the forehead, part of the band above it, a number of locks on top of the head, the left ear, and a few parts of the mane. The head was broken in three pieces, and the broken edges of the joints have been filled and recolored to match the deep brownish red tone of the weathered surfaces. Four cuttings in the edge of the plinth (one at each end, two at the back) held swallow-tail clamps by which the statue was fastened to its pedestal. Aside from the breaks and weathering, the lower teeth and the tongue have suffered damage.
1890: Said to have been found in 1890 at Perachora, above Loutraki, near the Isthmus of Corinth; by date unknown: with Edward Perry Warren (according to Warren's records: Lutrakis on the Isthmus); 1897: purchased by MFA from Edward Perry Warren for $ 25,000.00 (this figure is the total price for MFA 97.285-97.442 and 97.1104)
Catharine Page Perkins Fund