June 7, 1886, sold by Charles Jamrach (dealer; b. 1815 - d. 1891), London, to Lt.-General Augustus Henry Pitt-Rivers (b. 1827 - d. 1900), Farnham, England; October 1892, transferred to the Pitt-Rivers Museum, Farnham [see note 1]; until the 1960s, kept at the Pitt-Rivers Museum and passed by descent within the family [see note 2]; 1970s, sold upon the dispersal of the collection. September 27, 1980, sold by Wayne Heathcote Gallery, Paddington, N. S. W., Australia, to William and Bertha Teel, Marblehead, MA; 1994, partial gift of William and Bertha Teel to the MFA; 2014, acquired fully with the bequest of William Teel to the MFA. (Accession Dates: January 26, 1994 and February 26, 2014)
 Room 7, case 81. Pitt-Rivers notebooks, vol. 2, p. 231.  The collection of the privately-owned Pitt-Rivers museum passed by descent through Augustus Henry Pitt-Rivers’s son Alexander Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers to his grandson, Captain George Pitt-Rivers (1890-1966) and his common law wife, Stella Howson-Clive (Pitt-Rivers). The museum closed in the 1960s and the collection was sold.
Gift of William E. and Bertha L. Teel