Marjorie Merriweather Post brooch
Emerald and diamond corsage ornament
Overall: 5.3 x 5.4 x 1.1 cm (2 1/16 x 2 1/8 x 7/16 in.)
Medium or Technique
Platinum, diamond, and emerald
Not On View
The brooch was purchased by Marjorie Merriweather Post (1887-1973) and is documented by two portraits; one by Frank O. Salisbury (Palm Beach Bath and Tennis Club) and the other by Douglas Chador (Hillwood Museum). Both date to 1952. The central stone in the brooch is a mid-17th century carved emerald that was purchased by Marcus and Co.’s agent in Bombay in the 1920s. Oscar Heyman & Bros. made many of the jewels marketed by Marcus & Co. during the 1920s. There is a drawing for the brooch in the Oscar Heyman Bros. archive.
Impressed MARCUS & CO. on reverse. Two sets of the same scratched number (0905z) on reverse.
Marjorie Merriweather Post (b. 1887- d. 1973), New York; given by Post to her daughter, Eleanor Close Barzin (d. 2006) [see note 1]; 2007, sold by a representative of the family to Friman & Stein, New York; January 2008, sold by Friman & Stein to Hancocks, London; June 2008, sold by Hancocks to the MFA. (Accession Date: June 25, 2008) NOTES:  Mrs. Post gave the brooch to one of her two daughters from her first marriage to Edward Bennett Close; according to a family member, this was her second daughter, Eleanor Close Barzin.
William Francis Warden Fund, Marshall H. Gould Fund, Frank B. Bemis Fund, Mary S. and Edward Jackson Holmes Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Otis Norcross Fund, Helen and Alice Colburn Fund, William E. Nickerson Fund, Arthur Tracy Cabot Fund, Edwin E. Jack Fund, Frederick Brown Fund, Elizabeth Marie Paramino Fund in memory of John F. Paramino, Boston Sculptor, Morris and Louise Rosenthal Fund, Harriet Otis Cruft Fund, H.E. Bolles Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, Helen B. Sweeney Fund, Ernest Kahn Fund, Arthur Mason Knapp Fund, John Wheelock Elliot and John Morse Elliot Fund, Susan Cornelia Warren Fund, Mary L. Smith Fund, Samuel Putnam Avery Fund, Alice M. Bartlett Fund, Benjamin Pierce Cheney Donation, Frank M. and Mary T.B. Ferrin Fund, and Joyce Arnold Rusoff Fund
Reproduced with permission.