Maruko (=Mariko): The Old Station of Tegoshi (Tegoshi no koeki), from the series Fifty-three Pairings for the Tôkaidô Road (Tôkaidô gojûsan tsui)
「東海道五十三対 丸子 手越の古駅」
Marks, Kunisada's Tôkaidô (2013), #T78-21; Robinson, Kuniyoshi: The Warrior-Prints (1982), list #S44.21; Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 251, ôban #43.09
Vertical ôban; 35.8 x 24.5 cm (14 1/8 x 9 5/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
Station 21, from a series jointly designed by Hiroshige, Kunisada, and Kuniyoshi.
MFA impressions: 11.30313, 11.45385.21
手越の古駅は丸子の東にしてあべ川の西岸にあり むかし中将重衡囚れて鎌倉に下り給ふ時 此所に宿り給ふ 頼朝公深く痛り 手越の長者が娘千寿の前といへるを御伽に付けられける 此女眉姿心様も優にして糸竹の道さえ勝れ 琵琶琴或は今様の白拍子を舞て心を慰めわかれけるが 重衡討たれ給ふとき墨の衣にさまをかへ 信濃の国善光寺にて後世のぼだいをとむらひける 千寿の遺跡今も残れり
Censor's seal: Mura
No blockcutter's mark
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850–d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 19, 2005)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection