No. 41 - Miya: Gate of the Atsuta Shrine (Atsuta no torii), from the series The Tôkaidô Road - The Fifty-three Stations (Tôkaidô - Gojûsan tsugi no uchi)
「東海道 四十一 五十三次之内 宮 熱田の鳥居」
Ukiyo-e shûka 14 (1981), Hiroshige list, p. 236, horizontal chûban #23.41
Horizontal chûban; 17.7 x 25.7 cm (6 15/16 x 10 1/8 in.)
Medium or Technique
Woodblock print (nishiki-e); ink and color on paper
Not On View
Station no. 42 in the usual order. Since Shimada (no. 24) and Kanaya (no. 25) are combined in one design in this series, all numbers from 25 on are one less than the usual number for that station.
MFA impressions: 06.1607, 11.26175, 2009.5010.40
Censors' seals: Mera, Murata
No blockcutter's mark
By 1911, purchased by William Sturgis Bigelow (b. 1850 - d. 1926), Boston [see note 1]; 1911, gift of Bigelow to the MFA. (Accession Date: August 3, 1911)
 Much of Bigelow's collection of Asian art was formed during his residence in Japan between 1882 and 1889, although he also made acquisitions in Europe and the United States. Bigelow deposited many of these objects at the MFA in 1890 before donating them to the Museum's collection at later dates.
William Sturgis Bigelow Collection