Octagonal dish from the Christie-Miller service
Made at Meissen Manufactory (Germany)
Object Place: Meissen, Germany
Diameter: 40 cm (15 3/4 in.)
Medium or Technique
Hard-paste porcelain with colored enamel and luster decoration, gilding
Angelica Lloyd Russell Gallery (Gallery 142)
Octagonal dish from the Christie-Miller service, painted in the center with a German view, showing figures standing in a courtyard of a Schloss with other figures conversing outside the walls and down a path by the side of a river towards the church, the small puce vignettes showing harbour scenes and equestrian figures, reserved on a gilt trellis diaper ground, the outer border with colored quatrefoil vignettes of figures in landscapes, harbour scenes and German view, reserved between elaborate gilt palmettes and scrolls outlined in black. Crossed swoards mark in underglaze blue and Pressnummer 22.
The Christie-Miller Service, named for the English family that purchased it in 1840, is decorated with views of Italian and German castles, harbors, and landscapes, both real and imaginary, and based on engravings published in 1681 and 1682 by the Augsburg printmaker Melchior Küssel.
1840s, possibly sold by a French noble family to Samuel Christie-Miller (b. 1811 – d. 1889), London [see note 1]; by descent within the family; July 7, 1970, estate of Samuel Christie-Miller sale, Sotheby & Co., London, lot 43, to The Antique Porcelain Company for Edward M. Pflueger (b. 1905 - d. 1997) and Kiyi Powers Pflueger (b. 1915 - d. 2008), New York; 2000, bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger to the MFA. (Accession Date: September 20, 2000)
 In “Fragile Diplomacy: Meissen Porcelain for European Courts ca. 1710-63” (New Haven, 2007), Maureen Cassidy-Geiger suggests that the Miller-Christie service may have been acquired by the Christie-Millers directly or indirectly from a French noble family.
Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection. Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger, Frank B. Bemis Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, and Frederick L. Jack Fund