One of a pair of chairs
Height x width: 35 x 24 in. (88.9 x 61 cm)
Medium or Technique
Gilded beech, brass castors, modern upholstery
Susan Morse Hilles Gallery (Gallery 152)
Each with a padded scrolled back, the curved toprail between moulded downswept arms with scroll and paterae terminals, on reeded tapering legs headed by paterae with gadrooned feet, with gadrooned brass caps and castors, stamped ‘W’, one chair with ‘II’ inscribed in pencil on the backrail, re-upholstered.
These elegant drawing-room chairs, with reeded, palm-flowered and Grecian-scrolled frames, epitomise the ‘antique’ fashion introduced around 1800 by George, Prince of Wales (future George IV) under the guidance of his French ‘Upholsterer-in Ordinary’ Nicholas Morel (d. 1830). The Great Marlborough Street cabinet-maker and upholsterer entered into his celebrated partnership with Robert Hughes around 1805, and these chairs may have formed part of the suite for the Hanover Square mansion of Edward, Lord Lascelles, later 1st Earl of Harewood (d. 1820).
About 1805, possibly part of the suite supplied to Edward Lascelles, 1st Earl of Harewood (d. 1820) for Harewood House, Hanover Square, London; until 1951, by descent within the family; June 28, 1951, H.R.H. The Princess Royal and the Earl of Harewood sale, Christie's London, lot 46 (the whole suite). June 4, 2009, anonymous sale, Christie's, London, lot 104, to H. Blairman & Sons Ltd., London. Acquired on the London art market by Horace Wood Brock, New York; 2010, gift of Horace Wood Brock to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 26, 2010).
Gift of Horace Wood Brock