One of a pair of pier tables and mirrors
Overall: 281.9 x 89.2 x 31.8 cm (111 x 35 1/8 x 12 1/2 in.)
Medium or Technique
Gilded pine, rosewood, mirror glass, and bardiglio marble tops
Susan Morse Hilles Gallery (Gallery 152)
The design of these pier tables and mirrors suggests that they may have originated from the circle of architect Charles Heathcote Tatham (1772-1842), whose Grand Tour was sponsored by the architect Henry Holland (1745-1806). Holland used this same monopodium design on the fireplace in the Ante Room, off the Drawing Room, at Southill, Bedfordshire (1796-1800).
The animal monopodia, or decorative supports consisting of the head and one leg of an animal (often a lion or leopard), was first seen in Roman furniture and was revived during the late eighteenth century by neoclassical designers. Regency designers took inspiration from archeological sources from Greece and Rome striving to reproduce ancient forms of decoration by incorporating symbols from the ancient Roman period.
Around 1800, possibly Thomas Bowes-Lyon, 11th Earl of Strathmore (b. 1773 - d. 1846), Redburn House, Hertfordshire (original commission?); possibly by descent to his son, Thomas George Lyon-Bowes, Lord Glamis (b. 1801 - d. 1834), and his wife, Charlotte (Grimstead) Bowes-Lyon, Lady Glamis (b. 1797 - d. 1881), Red House, Redbourn; possibly by descent within the family [see note 1]. 1982, H. Blairman and Sons, Ltd., London. John Aspinall (b. 1926 - d. 2000), London. 2004, H. Blairman and Sons, Ltd., London. Acquired on the London art market by Horace Wood Brock, New York; 2005, gift of Horace Wood Brock to the MFA. (Accession Date: January 25, 2006)
 See the discussion in H. Blairman and Sons, "Furniture and Works of Art" (2004), cat. no. 1.
Gift of Horace Wood Brock in memory of George J. Levy, M.B.E.