Pierre II Germain (French, 1703–1783)
Object Place: Europe, Paris, France
9 x 18.7 x 11.1 cm, 800 gm (3 9/16 x 7 3/8 x 4 3/8 in., 28.22 oz.)
Medium or Technique
Not On View
An oval box, the sides almost straight, with a molding at the rim. The hinged lid slightly domed with chased border of entrelacs, engraved oval rosette a nd crossed laurel branches.
Maker's Mark: a crowned fleur-de-lys, 2 grains, PG, a sprout (Nocq II p 248): underside of lid, underside of body. Warden's Mark: 1760-1761, a crowned V (Dennis 156): Underside of lid; 1761-62: a crowned X (Dennis 39): Underside of body. Charge Mark: for large work, 1756-62: a crowned A (Dennis 156): Underside of lid, underside of body. Discharge Mark: for work intended for export, 1733 (?)-1775: a little cow (Dennis 156): flange of body. Other: engraved with "339" on bottom.
By 1904, Marquis de Biron, Geneva [see note 1]. Leon Helft, Paris. Madame Burat, Paris [see note 2]. By 1914, Jacques Helft, Paris. Elizabeth Parke Firestone (1897-1990) and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. (1898-1973), Akron, OH and Newport, RI; 1993; gift of the Estate of Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. (Accession date: May 26, 1993)
 The entire toilet set was in the collection of the Marquis de Biron, Geneva.
 Sold by Leon Helft to Madame Burat.
Elizabeth Parke Firestone and Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. Collection