Pair of tulip vases as triumphal arches
Attributed to Adriaen Kocks, Dutch, Proprietor, The Greek A Factory (active 1686–1701)
Height x width x depth: 29.5 x 30.5 x 7.6 cm (11 5/8 x 12 x 3 in.)
Medium or Technique
Art of the Netherlands in the 17th Century Gallery (Gallery 242)
Pair of tulip vases in the form of triumphal arches, each with five upper and two lower spouts with blue and white decoration. Their front and back sides are different: one side is richly embellished with rusticated stones and topped with a grotesque mask; and the other side has stones painted to simulate cracks and decay, surmounted with a cartouche with the goddes Flora holding a bouquet.
Paper label on each:
"Collection G. Ephis / DELFT 060" and
"Collection G. Ephis / DELFT 061"
By 1981, private collection, The Netherlands. By 1992, Pieter Hoogendijk (dealer), Naarden, The Netherlands; 1994, sold by Hoogendijk to the G. Ephis collection (private collector), France; 2012, sold by the G. Ephis collection to the MFA. (Accession Date: October 24, 2012).
The G. Ephis Collection—Museum purchase with funds donated anonymously, Charles Bain Hoyt Fund, John H. and Ernestine A. Payne Fund, Mary S. and Edward J. Holmes Fund, William Francis Warden Fund, Tamara Petrosian Davis Sculpture Fund, John Lowell Gardner Fund, Seth K. Sweetser Fund, H. E. Bolles Fund, and funds by exchange from the Kiyi and Edward M. Pflueger Collection-Bequest of Edward M. Pflueger and Gift of Kiyi Powers Pflueger