Palm-capital column

Egyptian
Old Kingdom, reused in Dynasty 19
2649–2139 B.C.


Findspot: Egypt, Herakleopolis Magna

Dimensions

Height: 494 cm (194 1/2 in.) Height of shaft: 361 cm (142 1/8 in.) Height of binding: 27 cm (10 5/8 in.) Height of capital: 106 cm (41 3/4 in.) Diameter of shaft at base: 73.9 cm (29 1/16 in.) Diameter of shaft at binding: 63.4 cm (24 15/16 in.) Diameter of capital: 119.8 cm (47 1/8 in.) Height of base 12 cm (4 3/4 in.)

Accession Number

91.259

Medium or Technique

Granite

On View

Egypt: Sculpture and Tomb Chapels (Gallery 209)

Collections

The Ancient World

Classifications

Columns and capitals

Red granite; cylindrical shaft, broken in two places. Three horizontal bands of incised figures and hieroglyphics. Nine leaves in the capital, the tips of several restored.

Provenance

From Ihnasya el-Medina (Herakleopolis Magna), temple of Harsaphes, portico. 1890-1891: excavated by Edouard Naville for the Egypt Exploration Fund, assigned to the EEF by the Egyptian government; October 1891, presented to the MFA by the EEF. (Accession date: December 8, 1891)

Credit Line

Egypt Exploration Fund by subscription